Windstream Hosted Solutions is in building mode. Server Farm Realty has broken ground on a new data center for Windstream in Charlotte, a facility first announced earlier this month. This will be Windstream’s fourth Charlotte facility and seventh overall in North Carolina. The 60,850 square foot, 10 megawatt data center is scheduled to open in late 2013.
“Many of our customers have already realized the benefits of integrated, personalized solutions from Windstream Hosted Solutions, and demand for those services continues to increase significantly year over year,” said Chris Nicolini, Senior Vice President of Data Center Operations for Windstream Hosted Solutions. “This newest data center represents our commitment to providing customers with the highest level of services and reliability in order to meet the changing needs of their businesses.”
Server Farm Realty has partnered with DSA Encore on the project, a company that builds equips and maintains data centers. The rack-ready data center facility for Windstream will eventually house cloud computing, dedicated hardware, managed services and disaster recovery as a service. The facility will be divided into multiple 10,000 square foot suites leased by Windstream.
“Built to suit Windstream’s unique specifications, the Charlotte facility epitomizes SFR’s commitment to innovative, efficient, and flexible data center design,” says Avner Papouchado, CEO of Server Farm Realty. “Our success in developing the Charlotte data center demonstrates an ability to serve the critical connectivity, colocation, and overall data center needs of enterprise organizations such as those served by Windstream, in turn enabling them to reciprocate that same superior service and success onto their customers.”
In terms of design, the facility will boast:
- 2N modular design for as-needed, seamless capacity expansion
- 3000kVA of day 1 utility capacity easily expanded to over 12MVA
- True A- and B-side power distribution via fully redundant 2N critical infrastructure
- Day 1 usable UPS capacity of 1215kW, expandable to over 3600kW
- High-efficiency chillers with 450 tons of 2N day 1 cooling capacity expandable to 1350 tons
- Access to multi-tenant infrastructure, such as Enterprise Cloud, EMC and NetApp SAN/NAS, F5 GTM/LTM platforms, as well as Cisco and Juniper network and security platforms
Windstream is also building just outside of Nashville in Franklin, Tennessee, through Compass Datacenters. Through a long-term lease agreement, Compass is constructing a 22,000 square foot stand-alone data center, scheduled to open in 2013. Compass also has a big assist in North Carolina, Compass building Windstream’s third facility in Durham.