RightScale Extends Cloud Management to VMware vSphere
December 10th, 2013 By: Jason Verge
Cloud management platform provider RightScale today announced a new on-premises software appliance that integrates VMware vSphere with RightScale’s Cloud Portfolio Management. With the adapter, IT teams can choose whether to deploy workloads to vSphere or any of the public or private clouds already supported by Rightscale, as well as create portable workloads that can move seamlessly between these environments.
“Our enterprise customers want to combine public and private cloud resources with their existing vSphere environments to expand cloud adoption,” said Thorsten von Eicken, CTO and co-founder of RightScale. “The RightScale Cloud Appliance for VMware vSphere will offer enterprise developers a cloud-centric way to deploy and manage applications on, while allowing VMWare administrators to continue to use familiar vCenter management tools.”
Benefits of using the RightScale Adapter for vSphere include:
- Self-service access across cloud and virtualized environments: vSphere environments have traditionally been controlled, configured and managed by IT. With the RightScale adapter, new types of users, such as application developers, software architects, and DevOps teams will be able to leverage RightScale to deploy and move workloads across cloud and vSphere environments according to policies set up by IT teams.
- Leveraging vCenter and RightScale in parallel: RightScale does not lock users into one management solution. Users can leverage RightScale Cloud Portfolio Management and VMware vCenter Server in parallel. For example, developers can leverage RightScale to deploy workloads in vSphere, while VMWare administrators can leverage vCenter.
- Enhanced vSphere environments with cloud-like capabilities: Cloud environments offer additional capabilities that goes beyond the functionality of virtualized environments like vSphere. The RightScale Adapter adds cloud-like capabilities that expand and streamline access to vSphere. The adapter provides multi-tenancy governance on top of vSphere to allow automated, policy-based sharing of vSphere resources pools by multiple tenants. It also adds standardized instance types to enable developers to quickly pick from a preconfigured set of infrastructure options.
- Reduced vendor lock-in: RightScale ServerTemplates are dynamic configuration scripts. They provide portability for workloads across vSphere environments and public and private clouds.
- Unified reporting and analytics: With RightScale, users can view vSphere usage through RightScale Cloud Analytics, which helps visualize usage and spending across vSphere data centers as well as other clouds.
- Cross-environment professional services: RightScale experts can help enterprises deploy and optimize application portfolios across vSphere virtualized environments as well as public and private clouds.
- Single pane of glass across cloud and vSphere environments: Using RightScale, enterprises can enable infrastructure teams to manage cloud-based workloads – including major public clouds, vSphere environments, and OpenStack and CloudStack-based clouds – from a single pane of glass.