EATON produced this timely whitepaper using computational modeling as a study for a major, non-profit, healthcare network. If a picture is worth a thousand words then this graph rich document speaks volumes.
BayCare Health System was looking to optimize their cold aisle containment system (CACS). EATON simulated the performance of the data center using Future Facilities’ 6SigmaDC computational fluid dynamics (CFD). Initial results showed the modeling mirrored the actual performance of the data Center quite closely. The exercise was then utilized to help determine solutions for overall optimization.
This study drew several interesting conclusions that helped BayCare achieve its end but the value to the reader goes beyond the initial study. This paper provides insight to the workings of the computational modeling and takes the reader through a step by step understanding into its value.
- Predictions for equipment inlet temperatures and actual measurements of the same devices as a function of time.
- CFD simulation of temperatures at the rear exhaust and thermal imagery of the same cabinets rear exhaust.
- Plot from floor grills with and without cold aisle containment
- Plot from device inlets with and without cold aisle containment
- Comparing inlet and tile airflow temperatures before and after recommendations were deployed.
Review this study as it presents an interesting case but for the data center professional it provides excellent insight into computational modeling.