VISI opens its new data center in Eden Prairie, The Planet reports first quarter results, Google takes the wraps off Google TV, and Cray wins a $47 million contract from the DOE and Oak Ridge. Read More
VMware (VMW) and Google (GOOG) are collaborating to help enterprise software developers build and manage applications within any cloud environment. Read More
It’s hard to miss the signs of confidence in recent investments by major technology companies, including tech titans Google (GOOG), Apple (AAPL) , HP (HPQ) and Intel (INTC). Read More
At Green.Net 2010, Google’s Bill Weihl provided a look at how it uses vinyl data center curtains to create a low-cost containment pod in one of its corporate server rooms. Read More
There’s been lots of speculation about Google Energy, a new subsidiary the Internet giant has formed to buy and sell power on the wholesale market. Google energy czar Bill Weihl today laid out a scenario in which Google Energy might help the company access renewable energy to support its data centers. Read More
At least two existing Google facilities have been equipped with treatment plants, allowing them to operate their water-hungry cooling systems without tapping the potable water supply from local municipalities. A third Google data center uses a rainwater collection system for its water supply. Read More
Google (GOOG) continues to invest in its data centers, but there’s no sign of an imminent return the huge spending seen in 2007 and 2008. The comnpany invested $239 million in capital spending on its IT infrastructure in the first quarter of 2010. Read More
Google has dramatically increased its use of peering over the past year, and has also accelerated deployment of local caching servers at large ISPs, making the company’s network resemble a content distribution network (CDN) such as Akamai. Read More
Google (GOOG) has declined a jobs-related tax break from the state of South Carolina, and will not claim a $2.5 million grant that required that the company create 200 new jobs in the state. Read More
What happens when the power goes out at a Google data center? We found out on Feb. 24, when a power outage at a Google facility caused more than two hours of downtime for Google App Engine, the company’s cloud computing platform for developers. Read More
Additional Google Articles
- Google Using Bloom Box, But Not in Data Center
- Google Gift Means More Servers for Wikipedia
- Facebook Responds on Coal Power in Data Center
- Roundup: Google, VISI, Level 3, Active Power
- Roundup: Google’s Broadband Experiment
- Google Funds ‘Radical’ Efficiency Research
- Google’s Mystery Domain, IPv6 Traffic Spike
- Google CapEx Edges Higher in Q4
- Google Leases More Space at 111 Eighth Ave.
- Google’s Servers, Behind the Great Firewall
- Will Google Energy Power Its Data Centers?
- Can the 'Google Economy' Lift Small Towns?
- Can the ‘Google Economy’ Lift Small Towns?
- Google Exploring Quantum Computing
- Google, Cables and the Future of the Web