Compuware Releases PureStack Analytics For Infrastructure and End User
June 7th, 2013 By: Jason Verge
Compuware announced the release of PureStack, what it is calling the next generation of Application Performance Management (APM). Purestack correlates guest and host infrastructure health to individual application transaction and affected end users in real-time. It allows application operators to quickly gauge the impact of infrastructure problems for both infrastructure and end users in order to expose how IT infrastructure conditions impede the performance of critical business applications.
“We’ve connected application monitoring and the infrastructure health into a single correlated view,” said Kieran Taylor, Director of Product Marketing. “Historically, monitoring application and infrastructure required two different sets of tools, this is a single pane of glass”
PureStack compliments Purepath in that a user is now able to go down into infrastructure health metrics. Combined with Compuware’s dynaTrace PurePath Technology, PureStack Technology directly correlates guest and host infrastructure health to individual application transactions and affected end users in real-time. “With the current set of tools on the market, they’re siloed,” said Taylor. “In the case of infrastructure monitoring solutions, they look at infrastructure in a high level way. They don’t break down on a per user or per transaction kind of way.”
“With PureStack, Compuware is significantly extending the depth and range of its APM solutions,” said Tim Grieser, Program Vice President of Enterprise System Management Software at IDC. “Real-time cross-correlation of end-to-end transaction details with system and application health metrics, improves both the ability to understand the business impact of performance issues on end-users and provides extended information for faster root cause analysis.”
PureStack Technology automatically discovers, maps and collects critical system and infrastructure health information along the infrastructure “stack” including hypervisor, operating system, storage, process and CPU. This infrastructure health information is tied directly to each PurePath, which contains cross tier transaction detail, including end-user and code-level context. Together, PureStack and PurePath provide a three-dimensional view of how infrastructure health impacts application performance and availability.
“When evaluating cloud providers, understanding how the virtual infrastructure affects application performance is critical,” said David Snyder, Enterprise Architect at American Greetings Interactive. “The PureStack technology is a huge time-saver, offering a single view for all the data we need to monitor these less predictable environments and deliver a great experience for our customers.”
Compuware APM powered by PureStack Technology offers:
- Smarter APM with Easy Infrastructure Monitoring: The first and only APM solution that monitors all key infrastructure metrics and automatically correlates their impact on individual transactions and end users with 100 percent visibility into all transactions 24/7—from the end user, across all tiers to the database and back, in the most demanding production environments. Compuware APM’s unique and unified agent technology automatically detects and maps infrastructure to applications without manual configuration.
- Three-Dimensional Root-Cause Analysis: PureStack uniquely complements PurePath Technology to deliver enhanced out-of-the box transaction flow and infrastructure views that provides operators detailed and highly accurate insights never before possible:
- Top-down Dependency Analysis: PureStack provides exact detail on all infrastructure components including CPU, memory, disk, I/O and other metrics that are necessary to answer a single user request. Even interfering processes not related to the request are discovered.
- Bottom-up Impact Analysis: PureStack shows every single user request as well as all categories of user requests across applications and business transactions that use a specific infrastructure component.
- Session Recordings Eliminates Need to Replicate Problems: Every transaction is recorded along with all system health metrics, and can be “played back” when a performance problem is detected.
- Heterogeneous Infrastructure Support: Unmatched breadth of support across all major operating systems including: Windows, Linux, AIX, Solaris and HPUX. Hypervisors, including VMware and Xen are auto-detected, even in cloud environments. Amazon and Windows Azure public cloud are also supported. Broad environment support covers Java, .Net, PHP, Apache/IIS, big data, database access, C/C++, Message Broker, MQ and mainframe applications.
“While our competitors struggle to get beyond their sampling and averaging constraints to catch up to our industry-leading PurePath Technology, we have innovated again with PureStack,” said Bernd Greifeneder, CTO of Compuware’s APM business unit. “By combining these two powerful technologies, we now provide the industry’s first 3D application and infrastructure topology model with the exact link between every transaction and its guest and host infrastructure. IT application management analytics will never be the same again.”