Our Industry Perspectives 
channel is authored by leading industry experts who bring thought leadership on a variety of topics of interest to our readers. Recently, DCIM has become the buzzword in the marketplace. What Data Center Infrastructure Management tools really are and what they can do for you has been the topic of several recent guest columns in the Industry Perspectives channel. We’ve brought them together for your reading enjoyment.
DCIM Notes: 3-D is Great, But Insight Is What Counts 
– Gary Bunyan, Global DCIM Solutions Specialist at iTRACS, writes about how DCIM can be used to solve two different kinds of challenges – operational and strategic.
Avoiding DCIM Chaos and IT Paralysis 
– Though still in its infancy in many ways, DCIM is a noble category with great promise, writes Mark Harris of Server Technology.
What’s The True Meaning of DCIM? 
-Data Center Infrastructure Management (DCIM) systems are increasingly being deployed in the data center due to the need for complete visibility into costs and capacity, writes John Consoli of FieldView. But what does DCIM really mean? Far too many throw around the term without a full grasp of the acronym’s definition.
Notes from the Road: Tearing Down the Silos 
– A DCIM with 3-D visualization acts like a social network, writes Gary Bunyan of iTRACS. The sharing of information about conditions in your data center through a DCIM spreads or socializes information to everyone throughout the organization, instantly and efficiently, while also tearing down walls between people, efficiently opening up new paths of communication.
Notes from the Road: DCIM User Experience 
– In the fast-paced sector of Data Center Infrastructure Management (DCIM), there are dozens of DCIM vendors out there, each with their own products, user interfaces, and claims, notes Gary Bunyan of iTRACS. For IT executives who are purchasing and using these tools, determining what is truly “usable” can be quite a challenge.
DCIM Assists Integration of Facilities and IT 
– The IT-Facilities relationship is changing writes Maurice (Moe) Donegan of the Avocent business of Emerson Network Power. The best way to achieve productive integration of IT and facilities infrastructures is through effective Data Center Infrastructure Management (DCIM).
To stay updated on DCIM news, bookmark our DCIM Channel 
Article printed from Data Center Knowledge: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com
URL to article: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2012/04/26/understanding-dcim-whats-behind-the-buzzword/
URLs in this post:
 Industry Perspectives: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/category/perspectives/
 DCIM Notes: 3-D is Great, But Insight Is What Counts: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2012/04/05/dcim-notes-3-d-is-great-but-insight-is-what-counts/
 Avoiding DCIM Chaos and IT Paralysis: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2012/03/29/avoiding-dcim-chaos-and-it-paralysis/
 What’s The True Meaning of DCIM?: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2012/03/13/whats-the-true-meaning-of-dcim/
 Notes from the Road: Tearing Down the Silos: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2012/03/01/notes-from-the-road-tearing-down-the-silos/
 Notes from the Road: DCIM User Experience: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2012/01/26/notes-from-the-road-dcim-user-experience/
 DCIM Assists Integration of Facilities and IT: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2011/03/08/dcim-assists-integration-of-facilities-and-it/
 DCIM Channel: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/category/infrastructure/management/
 Colleen Miller: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/author/colleenm/
Click here to print.