For your weekend reading, here’s a recap of five noteworthy stories that appeared on Data Center Knowledge this past week. Enjoy!
The Coming Colocation Crunch 
– Nemertes Research predicts a shortage of colocation space in the U.S. beginning this year, growing to a $1.9 billion facilities gap by 2015. Nemertes says that while supply is growing, demand is growing faster. This supply-demand imbalance creates what we’re calling “the colo crunch.”
A Data Center That Mimics A Mansion 
– A luxury homebuilder in Minnesota wants to build a data center that appears to be a mansion, allowing the commercial building to fit into a residential neighborhood.
Hosting Firms Add Voices to SOPA Protest 
– Wednesday was Blackout Day for Internet companies protesting the Stop Internet Piracy Act or SOPA (H.R. 3261), and its relative, the PROTECT IP Act or PIPA (Senate Bill 968). The bills would have a significant impact on the way hosting providers deal with complaints about content pirating and copyright infringement. A number of hosting companies, domain sellers have voiced their opposition to the bills.
Roundup: Amazon’s DynamoDB 
– Amazon Web Services has launched DynamoDB, a fully managed NoSQL database service that provides extremely fast and predictable performance with seamless scalability. Amazon has had a cloud database service with SimpleDB for some time, but DynamoDB focuses on fast, predictable performance and automatically manages the spreading of data and workload over a sufficient number of servers.
Equinix Outage Means Downtime for Zoho 
– A power outage Friday morning in an Equinix data center in California caused problems for a number of customers, most notably Zoho, which experienced hours of downtime for several of its web-based office applications. Equinix acknowledged the incident, but did not provide details on the cause of the outage at its SV4 facility in Silicon Valley.
Stay current on Data Center Knowledge’s data center news by subscribing to our RSS feed 
and daily e-mail updates 
, or by following us on Twitter 
or Facebook 
or join our new LinkedIn Group
– Data Center Knowledge 
Article printed from Data Center Knowledge: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com
URL to article: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2012/01/21/top-5-data-center-stories-week-of-jan-21/
URLs in this post:
 The Coming Colocation Crunch: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2012/01/18/the-coming-colo-crunch/
 A Data Center That Mimics A Mansion: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2012/01/20/a-data-center-that-mimics-a-mansion/
 Hosting Firms Add Voices to SOPA Protest: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2012/01/18/hosting-firms-add-voices-to-sopa-protest/
 Roundup: Amazon’s DynamoDB: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2012/01/19/roundup-amazons-dynamodb/
 Equinix Outage Means Downtime for Zoho: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2012/01/20/equinix-outage-means-downtime-for-zoho/
 RSS feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/DataCenterKnowledge
 daily e-mail updates: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/subscribe/
 Twitter: http://twitter.com/datacenter
 Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/DataCenterKnowledge
 Data Center Knowledge: http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=3317597
 Colleen Miller: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/author/colleenm/
Click here to print.