This Equinix data center in Tokyo is among the new locations for the AWS Direct Connect program, which provides secure connections between data centers and Amazon's public cloud. (Source: Equinix)
For your weekend reading, here’s a recap of five noteworthy stories that appeared on Data Center Knowledge this past week. Enjoy!
- $12 Billion in Data Center M&A in 2011  – Mergers and acquisition activity in the data center sector generated more than $12.3 billion in deal values globally in 2011, according to an analysis by the UK consulting firm BroadGroup. The survey also found that a further $6 billion had been raised in private funding rounds and IPOs in the data center sector in 2011.
- Amazon Cloud Connecting to More Data Centers  – Amazon Web Services has expanded its AWS Direct Connect service, which allows customers in select data centers around the globe to establish a private network connection to the Amazon cloud that can reduce network costs and increase throughput. Amazon is expanding the service to a CoreSite Realty’s One Wilshire facility in Los Angeles, the TelecityGroup’s Sovereign House data center in London, and to Equinix facilities in Tokyo and Singapore
- Mobile Cloud Computing Will Soar in 2012  – It’s no surprise that many cloud experts predict that mobile cloud computing will become increasingly important in 2012. Given the numbers of smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices shipped every day, more and more users are relying on the cloud as the main driver for satisfying their computing needs
- Peak 10 Helps Tim Tebow Scale His Web Sites  – Rookie quarterback Tim Tebow has emerged as an Internet sensation – one who needs sturdy IT infrastructure. Tebow recently turned to data center provider Peak 10, which is hosting TimTebow.com and TimTebowFoundation.org on a cloud platform optimized for high-traffic web sites.
- How Cisco Chooses Data Center Locations  – What are the primary factors you consider when you choose where to build a data center? In a new video, Cisco IT Architect Douglas Alger discusses the 10 factors that Cisco considers in its site selection process.
Stay current on Data Center Knowledge’s data center news by subscribing to our RSS feed  and daily e-mail updates , or by following us on Twitter  or Facebook  or join our new LinkedIn Group – Data Center Knowledge .
Article printed from Data Center Knowledge: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com
URL to article: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2012/01/14/industry-perspectives-jan-14/
URLs in this post:
 $12 Billion in Data Center M&A in 2011: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2012/01/09/12-billion-in-data-center-ma-in-2011/
 Amazon Cloud Connecting to More Data Centers: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2012/01/10/amazon-cloud-connecting-to-more-data-centers/
 Mobile Cloud Computing Will Soar in 2012: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2012/01/12/mobile-cloud-computing-will-soar-in-2012/
 Peak 10 Helps Tim Tebow Scale His Web Sites: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2012/01/13/peak-10-helps-tim-tebow-scale-his-web-site/
 How Cisco Chooses Data Center Locations: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2012/01/11/how-cisco-chooses-data-center-locations/
 RSS feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/DataCenterKnowledge
 daily e-mail updates: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/subscribe/
 Twitter: http://twitter.com/datacenter
 Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/DataCenterKnowledge
 Data Center Knowledge: http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=3317597
 Colleen Miller: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/author/colleenm/
Click here to print.