For your weekend reading, here’s a recap of five noteworthy stories that appeared on Data Center Knowledge this past week. Enjoy!
- Feds Now Plan to Close 1,200 Data Centers  – The U.S. government is continuing its aggressive effort to consolidate its data centers, and has again increased its target for the number of facilities it expects to close, according to Federal Chief Information Officer Steven VanRoekel. The government now expects to shutter at least 1,200 data centers, or about 40 percent of the 3,133 IT facilities identified in the latest update on the consolidation.
- Rackspace Cloud Will Expand in Dallas  – Rackspace Hosting has leased a large chunk of data center space in Richardson, Texas to expand its growing cloud computing operation. On Dec. 29 the company leased 58,200 square feet of data center space at Digital Realty Trust’s huge Datacenter Park – Dallas campus.
- Digital Realty Acquires San Francisco Data Center  – Digital Realty Trust has acquired data center properties in San Francisco and Atlanta for $148 million as it continues its initiative to buy fully-leased income properties, which generate revenue through rent from existing tenants.
- Internap Acquires Cloud Hoster Voxel  – Internap Network Services has acquired hosting provider Voxel Holdings in a deal that will boost the company’s cloud computing offerings and expand its base of small business customers. The all-cash transaction, which closed Dec. 30, is valued at $30 million.
- Zayo Acquires MarquisNet Las Vegas Business  – The Zayo Group continues to build its zColo colocation business through acquisitions. Today Zayo said that zColo has acquired the MarquisNet data-center business in Las Vegas, which includes a 28,000 square foot data center.
Stay current on Data Center Knowledge’s data center news by subscribing to our RSS feed 
and daily e-mail updates 
, or by following us on Twitter 
or Facebook 
or join our new LinkedIn Group
– Data Center Knowledge 
Image of the Capital from Kevin Dooley  via Flickr .
Article printed from Data Center Knowledge: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com
URL to article: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2012/01/07/top-5-data-center-stories-week-of-jan-6/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pagedooley/4046734044/
 Feds Now Plan to Close 1,200 Data Centers: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2012/01/04/feds-now-plan-to-close-1200-data-centers/
 Rackspace Cloud Will Expand in Dallas: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2012/01/06/rackspace-cloud-will-expand-in-dallas/
 Digital Realty Acquires San Francisco Data Center: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2012/01/04/digital-realty-acquires-san-francisco-data-center/
 Internap Acquires Cloud Hoster Voxel: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2012/01/03/internap-acquires-cloud-hoster-voxel/
 Zayo Acquires MarquisNet Las Vegas Business: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2012/01/03/zayo-acquires-marquisnet-las-vegas-business/
 RSS feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/DataCenterKnowledge
 daily e-mail updates: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/subscribe/
 Twitter: http://twitter.com/datacenter
 Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/DataCenterKnowledge
 Data Center Knowledge: http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=3317597
 Kevin Dooley: http://www.flickr.com/people/pagedooley/
 Colleen Miller: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/author/colleenm/
Click here to print.