For your weekend reading, here’s a recap of five noteworthy stories that appeared on Data Center Knowledge this past week. Enjoy!
How Many Data Centers? Emerson Says 500,000 
– How many data centers are there in the world? Emerson Network Power says there are 509,147 data centers worldwide, with 285.8 million square feet of space.
HP Sees Enterprise Momentum for POD Modules 
– Enterprises are getting comfortable with containers and modular data centers, which is boosting demand for HP’s Portable Optimized Datacenter (POD) offerings, the company said today. HP is also investing to expand its production capacity for its modular units, including PODWorks facilities in Europe and the Asia-Pacific region.
Will Big Data Clog Networks With Big Traffic? 
– Big Data, housed in new and disruptive technologies, is expected to account for more than 50 percent of the world’s data in the next five years, according to a a new study. While it offers huge and untapped value, the inevitable result is stress and strain on the world’s Interent infrastructure as companies seek to manage this explosion of information.
Greenpeace, Facebook Announce Truce 
– After two years of energetic sparring, Greenpeace and Facebook today announced a truce, with Facebook agreeing to prioritize the use of renewable energy for its data centers, and Greenpeace suspending a social media campaign that targeted the social network.
Clustered Systems Cools 100kW in Single Rack 
– A new blade server chassis featuring technology from Clustered Systems is promising to cool computing loads of up to 100 kilowatts in a single cabinet. The system, which breaks new ground in the effort to pack massive computing power into smaller spaces, will get its first test drive at the SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory in Palo Alto, Calif.
Stay current on Data Center Knowledge’s data center news by subscribing to our RSS feed 
and daily e-mail updates 
, or by following us on Twitter 
or Facebook 
or join our new LinkedIn Group
– Data Center Knowledge 
Article printed from Data Center Knowledge: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com
URL to article: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2011/12/17/top-5-data-center-stories-week-of-dec-17/
URLs in this post:
 How Many Data Centers? Emerson Says 500,000: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2011/12/14/how-many-data-centers-emerson-says-500000/
 HP Sees Enterprise Momentum for POD Modules: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2011/12/15/hp-sees-enterprise-momentum-for-pod-modules/
 Will Big Data Clog Networks With Big Traffic?: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2011/12/13/will-big-data-clog-networks-with-big-traffic/
 Greenpeace, Facebook Announce Truce: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2011/12/15/greenpeace-facebook-announce-truce/
 Clustered Systems Cools 100kW in Single Rack: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2011/12/12/clustered-systems-cools-100kw-in-single-rack/
 RSS feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/DataCenterKnowledge
 daily e-mail updates: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/subscribe/
 Twitter: http://twitter.com/datacenter
 Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/DataCenterKnowledge
 Data Center Knowledge: http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=3317597
 Colleen Miller: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/author/colleenm/
Click here to print.