The Google data center in Hamina, Finland. Google announced major data center expansions this week.
For your weekend reading, here’s a recap of five noteworthy stories that appeared on Data Center Knowledge this past week:
- Google to Build Major New Data Center in Dublin  – Google will build a major new data center in Dublin, Ireland, which the latest signal that the search giant is rapidly expanding its global Internet infrastructure to support growth. The $100 million facility also solidifies Dublin’s status as a major cloud computing hub.
- Bankers: Telco Buying Spree Will Continue  – Will mergers continue to reshape the data center landscape? Investment bankers tracking the industry predict say there are more deals to come, with telecom companies targeting the cloud computing market shaping up as the likely buyers. There were mixed opinions about whether colocation and managed hosting firms would continue to fetch premium prices in these deals.
- Tier 1: Oversupply Fears Are Unfounded  – Research Director for Tier 1 Research Antonio Piraino said he is frequently asked about oversupply in the data center sector. Piraino had a reassuring answer in his keynote presentation Monday at the Hosting & Cloud Transformation Summit (HTCS) event in Las Vegas.
- In the Pipeline: A Tidal Wave of Data  – “Big data” will require storage devices to house it. It will require servers to power the applications that will help people access and analyze it. That all adds up to a bullish case for the data center industry.
- Closer Look: Hardcore’s Liquid Blade Servers  – Here’s our Data Center Knowledge video of servers immersed in liquid. Hardcore Computer adapted its liquid-cooling technology for PCs to the server environment, and now, Liquid Blade immerses the blades in Hardcore’s Core Coolant – a clear dielectric fluid that is odorless and biodegradable.
Stay current on Data Center Knowledge’s data center news by subscribing to our RSS feed 
and daily e-mail updates 
, or by following us on Twitter 
or Facebook 
or join our new LinkedIn Group
– Data Center Knowledge 
Article printed from Data Center Knowledge: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com
URL to article: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2011/10/01/top-5-data-center-stories-week-of-sept-30/
URLs in this post:
 Google to Build Major New Data Center in Dublin: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2011/09/30/google-to-build-major-new-data-center-in-dublin/
 Bankers: Telco Buying Spree Will Continue: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2011/09/29/bankers-telco-buying-spree-will-continue/
 Tier 1: Oversupply Fears Are Unfounded: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2011/09/27/tier-1-oversupply-fears-are-unfounded/
 In the Pipeline: A Tidal Wave of Data: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2011/09/26/in-the-pipeline-a-tidal-wave-of-data/
 Closer Look: Hardcore’s Liquid Blade Servers: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2011/09/28/closer-look-hardcores-liquid-blade-servers/
 RSS feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/DataCenterKnowledge
 daily e-mail updates: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com../subscribe/
 Twitter: http://twitter.com/datacenter
 Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/DataCenterKnowledge
 Data Center Knowledge: http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=3317597
 Colleen Miller: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/author/colleenm/
Click here to print.