Emerson Network Power presents a data and graph rich whitepaper entitled “Seven Best Practices for Increasing Efficiency, Availability and Capacity: The Enterprise Data Center Design Guide.” This document was born from their critical study on “Energy Logic” which is a strategic overview on how efficiency has a cascading effect through the entire data center.
This follow through provides the groundwork needed to enhance the design for a high performing data center. Each practice summarized below is explained in detail with supporting evidence as to why it is an important part of the optimizing process
- Maximize the return temperature at the cooling units
- Match cooling capacity and airflow with IT loads
- Utilize cooling designs that reduce energy consumption
- Select the proper power system
- Design for flexibility
- Enable data center infrastructure management and monitoring
- Utilize local design and service expertise
In of themselves these practices are considered industry best. Packaged together with the supporting evidence and logic that Emerson provides, makes this study a must read for the data center professional charged with optimizing the facility.