The eBay Project Topaz data center in West Jordan, Utah will be expanded with a modular second phase.
For your weekend reading, here’s a recap of five noteworthy stories that appeared on Data Center Knowledge this past week:
- eBay Plans Modular Data Center in Utah  – eBay plans to build a new fully modular data center near Salt Lake City, Utah, and is launching an “open RFP” process to invite design submissions. The project was announced today by Dean Nelson, the Senior Director of Global Foundation Services at eBay. The new data center will be the second phase of the company’s Project Topaz campus in South Jordan, Utah.
- OVH is Largest Web Host With 100,000 Servers  – Last month French hosting company OVH announced that it was managing more than 100,000 servers. This is the first time we’ve seen a web hosting company state that it has surpassed 100,000 servers.
- Rackspace Ramps Up Data Center Revenue  – Rackspace Hosting is making more money from each square foot of data center space with every successive quarter. And now it’s beginning to add capacity to further scale up its revenue. In its second quarter earnings, Rackspace reported that it is now making $5,195 in net revenue per square foot.
- Report: Level 3, Limelight May Combine CDNs  – CDN analyst Dan Rayburn: “While I’ve heard that both AT&T and Microsoft have passed at acquiring Limelight, the bigger news I have confirmed is that Level 3 and Limelight have been in discussions for a few weeks now about joining forces and combining their CDN assets as a joint venture.”
- The Cube: OVH’s New Data Center Design  – If the Borg had a data center, it might look a lot like the large, cube-shaped building in Roubaix, France. It’s the new data center for French hosting company OVH, which plans to assimilate more than 35,000 servers into its new facility, which has been built in a cube shape.
Stay current on Data Center Knowledge’s data center news by subscribing to our RSS feed  and daily e-mail updates , or by following us on Twitter  or Facebook .
Article printed from Data Center Knowledge: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com
URL to article: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2011/08/20/top-5-data-center-stories-week-of-august-20th/
URLs in this post:
 eBay Plans Modular Data Center in Utah: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2011/08/17/ebay-plans-modular-data-center-in-utah/
 OVH is Largest Web Host With 100,000 Servers: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2011/08/15/ovh-is-largest-web-host-with-100000-servers/
 Rackspace Ramps Up Data Center Revenue: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2011/08/16/rackspace-ramps-up-data-center-revenue/
 Report: Level 3, Limelight May Combine CDNs: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2011/08/16/report-level-3-limelight-may-combine-cdns/
 The Cube: OVH’s New Data Center Design: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2011/08/19/the-cube-ovhs-new-data-center-design/
 RSS feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/DataCenterKnowledge
 daily e-mail updates: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/subscribe/
 Twitter: http://twitter.com/datacenter
 Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/DataCenterKnowledge
 Rich Miller: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/author/richm/
Click here to print.