Why DCIM, Why Now.
July 27th, 2011 By: Kevin Normandeau
Barry J. Needle, President, AGO Research, in a paper sponsored by Power Analytics provides a look into what data center infrastructure management (DCIM) is and why it is the key to managing the data center of the future. DCIM, as he explains, comprises systems performance management and building management systems. This paper focuses on systems performance and DCIM tools.
The author covers several areas in detail that help you form a practical understanding of your facility. Considerations include:
• The case for monitoring to establish intelligent capacity planning (ICP)
• How the EPA will be taking a proactive stance on power usage following the European Union’s lead
• The looming power crisis caused by data centers
• The myth behind DC design and the reality in implementation
• Tuning Up – A how to for energy efficiency
• The value behind site specific data
To implement DCIM means assessing, planning and working towards optimization for both economic and environmental reasons. Read this paper which logically highlights this reasoning.