The SeaMicro SM10000-64HD server board packs six Intel Atom chipsets onto a 5x11 inch board that previously houses four chipsets.
For your weekend reading, here’s a recap of five noteworthy stories that appeared on Data Center Knowledge this past week:
- Feds Target 292 More Data Centers for Closure  – The federal government has has identified an additional 292 data centers that it will close over the next 18 months as it continues its data center consolidation. The Obama administration published a list of 114 facilities it will close between now and the end of 2011, and 178 data centers targeted for closure in 2012..
- Google Buying Land for Future Data Centers  – Google continues to invest heavily in its Internet infrastructure in the second quarter of 2011, recording capital expenditures (CapEx) of $917 million. Google said some of the spending was for related to “land and building purchases.” The land purchases are most likely reflect future sites for data centers.
- SeaMicro Packs 768 Cores Into its Atom Server  – Pushing the boundary of high-density computing, SeaMicro today introduced a new version of its next-generation server that packs 768 Intel Atom cores into a 10u chassis. The SM10000-64HD (high-density) extends SeaMicro’s mission to develop servers with improved energy efficiency that can pack more computing power into every square foot of data center space.
- CenturyLink: The New Data Center Behemoth  – After closing its $2.5 billion acquisition of Savvis, CenturyLink is suddenly one of the largest players in the data center business. The company now owns 48 data centers in North America, Europe and Asia with more than 1.9 million square feet of raised floor space.
- Data Foundry Opens Texas 1 Data Center  – Colocation and disaster recovery specialist Data Foundry has opened the doors to its Texas 1 data center in Austin, Texas. The 130,00 square foot first phase is now operational and the first customers have started moving into the of the 250,000 square foot data center.
Stay current on Data Center Knowledge’s data center news by subscribing to our RSS feed  and daily e-mail updates , or by following us on Twitter  or Facebook .
Article printed from Data Center Knowledge: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com
URL to article: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2011/07/23/top-5-data-center-stories-week-of-july-23/
URLs in this post:
 Feds Target 292 More Data Centers for Closure: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2011/07/21/feds-target-292-more-data-centers-for-closure/
 Google Buying Land for Future Data Centers: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2011/07/18/google-buying-land-for-future-data-centers/
 SeaMicro Packs 768 Cores Into its Atom Server: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2011/07/18/seamicro-packs-768-cores-into-its-atom-server/
 CenturyLink: The New Data Center Behemoth: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2011/07/18/centurylink-the-new-data-center-behemoth/
 Data Foundry Opens Texas 1 Data Center: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2011/07/20/data-foundry-opens-texas-1-data-center/
 RSS feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/DataCenterKnowledge
 daily e-mail updates: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/subscribe/
 Twitter: http://twitter.com/datacenter
 Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/DataCenterKnowledge
 Rich Miller: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/author/richm/
Click here to print.