For your weekend reading, here’s a recap of five noteworthy stories that appeared on Data Center Knowledge this past week:
- NYSE Launches Cloud Platform for Traders  – NYSE Euronext today entered the cloud computing business, launching a platform that allows financial traders to lease computing power at the NYSE’s new data center in northern New Jersey. The new platform, operated by NYSE Technologies, was developed with technology from VMware and EMC.
- Apple Confirms the Approach of the iCloud  – Apple today confirmed that it will announce details for “iCloud, Apple’s upcoming cloud services offering,” at the company’s annual Worldwide Developers Conference next Monday. The announcement confirms the long-held assumption that the size of Apple’s new data center in North Carolina was a sure sign of a coming cloud offering.
- Power Usage Effectiveness 2 – The Sequel  – On May 17th the Data Center Efficiency Task Force issued a 14 page document entitled “Recommendations for Measuring and Reporting Version 2 – Measuring PUE for Data Centers” – also known as PUE 2. The updated PUE version is meant to clarify and reiterate the updated measurement requirements of the PUE metric and presumably prevent “PUE envy.”
- Bid to Extend Washington State Tax Break Fails  – A bill in Washington state that would have extended a key sales tax exemption for data center construction has died, meaning the tax break will expire at the end of this month. The bill passed the Senate 41-1 and moved out of the House Ways Committee via a unanimous vote, but never came up for a vote in the House.
- Tornado Risk Seen for Social Security Project  – The Social Security Administration has elected to build its new $800 million data center to withstand wind speeds of only 90 miles an hour, rather than the 120 miles an hour standard common in most mission critical facilities.
Stay current on Data Center Knowledge’s data center news by subscribing to our RSS feed  and daily e-mail updates , or by following us on Twitter  or Facebook .
Article printed from Data Center Knowledge: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com
URL to article: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2011/06/05/top-5-data-center-stories-week-of-june-4/
URLs in this post:
 NYSE Launches Cloud Platform for Traders: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2011/06/01/nyse-launches-cloud-platform-for-traders/
 Apple Confirms the Approach of the iCloud: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2011/05/31/apple-confirms-the-approach-of-the-icloud/
 Power Usage Effectiveness 2 – The Sequel: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2011/06/01/power-usage-effectiveness-2-the-sequel/
 Bid to Extend Washington State Tax Break Fails: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2011/06/02/bid-to-extend-washington-state-tax-break-fails/
 Tornado Risk Seen for Social Security Project: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2011/06/03/tornado-risk-seen-for-social-security-project/
 RSS feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/DataCenterKnowledge
 daily e-mail updates: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/subscribe/
 Twitter: http://twitter.com/datacenter
 Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/DataCenterKnowledge
 Rich Miller: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/author/richm/
Click here to print.