For your weekend reading, here’s a recap of five noteworthy stories that appeared on Data Center Knowledge this past week:
- Google: No ‘Secret Sauce’ in Recipe for Efficiency  – Google says that broader sharing of industry best practices and improvements in vendor technology have made it easier for companies to be much more efficient.. “A PUE of less than 1.6 should be achievable with off-the-shelf technology,” Google’s Chris Malone said Tuesday in one of the afternoon keynotes at The Uptime Symposium 2011.
- SeaMicro Servers Power Launch of Firefox 4  – When the Mozilla Corporation rolled out Firefox 4, the browser wasn’t the only new technology making its debut. The launch was powered by new servers from SeaMicro that use about a quarter of the power and space of most commercial servers.
- Citing Modular Demand, i/o Continues Expansion  – As data center specialist i/o ramps up production at its new factory in Phoenix, the company says it has a full pipeline of more than 100 orders for its i/o Anywhere modular data center product. A significant chunk of those modules will be deployed at customer premises, rather than i/o’s huge facilities in Phoenix and New Jersey. Meanwhile, the company is scouting sites for another huge facility in Asia.
- How the Skype Deal Can Pay Off for Microsoft  – Microsoft’s deal to buy Skype for $8.5 billion is the largest acquisition in the history of the company.Does Microsoft have the right strategy to make the deal pay off? Mobile cloud columnist Olafur Ingthorsson offers his take.
- ABB Targets DC Power Market with Validus Deal  – Global power specialist ABB has purchased a controlling interest in Validus DC Systems, a leading provider of direct current (DC) power infrastructure equipment for data centers. ABB’s deal for Validus also may boost the prospects for DC power distribution, which is common in telecom facilities but seen far less often in data centers, where AC remains the standard.
Stay current on Data Center Knowledge’s data center news by subscribing to our RSS feed  and daily e-mail updates , or by following us on Twitter  or Facebook .
Article printed from Data Center Knowledge: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com
URL to article: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2011/05/14/top-5-data-center-stories-week-of-may-13/
URLs in this post:
 Google: No ‘Secret Sauce’ in Recipe for Efficiency: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2011/05/11/google-no-secret-sauce-in-recipe-for-efficiency/
 SeaMicro Servers Power Launch of Firefox 4: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2011/05/13/seamicro-servers-power-launch-of-firefox-4/
 Citing Modular Demand, i/o Continues Expansion: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2011/05/13/citing-modular-demand-io-continues-expansion/
 How the Skype Deal Can Pay Off for Microsoft: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2011/05/12/how-the-skype-deal-can-pay-off-for-microsoft/
 ABB Targets DC Power Market with Validus Deal: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2011/05/12/abb-targets-dc-power-market-with-validus-deal/
 RSS feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/DataCenterKnowledge
 daily e-mail updates: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/subscribe/
 Twitter: http://twitter.com/datacenter
 Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/DataCenterKnowledge
 Rich Miller: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/author/richm/
Click here to print.