Data Center Week in Review: Jan. 29
January 29th, 2011 By: Rich Miller
For your weekend reading, here’s a recap some of the noteworthy stories that appeared on Data Center Knowledge this past week:
- Verizon to Acquire Terremark for $1.4 Billion – Verizon will acquire colocation and cloud hosting provider Terremark for $1.4 billion in a deal that will accelerate the telecom provider’s push into cloud computing. Verizon will pay $19.00 in cash for each share of Terremark, about a 35 percent premium to the stock’s closing price of $14.05 a share.
- Interxion Goes Public, Shares Gain 6 Percent – European IT infrastructure provider Interxion had a successful debut as a public company Friday as its shares gained 6 percent in their first day of trading, closing at $13.80 on the New York Stock Exchange.
- Cramer’s Dismal Data Center Track Record – Jim Cramer’s talking about data center stocks again. In the wake of last week’s selloff in shares of networking and cloud computing stocks, the host of CNBC’s “Mad Money” told investors to unload shares of colocation provider Equinx (EQIX).
It’s important to note that this is not the first time Cramer has warned viewers about data center stocks
- Digital Realty 2010 Leasing up 160% Over 2009 – Wholesale real estate provider Digital Realty Trust (DLR) says it leased a record 1.2 million square feet of space in 2010, exceeding the levels seen prior to the financial crisis in the fall of 2008.
- Data Center Hiring Boom for 2011? – If the first three weeks of the year are any indication, 2011 may be a big year for data center hiring. There’s been a strong surge in job postings on the Data Center Job Board.
- Mark Monroe Takes Helm at The Green Grid – Data center veteran Mark Monroe has been named the new executive director of The Green Grid, the industry group focused on helping data center operators improve the energy efficiency of their IT infrastructure.
[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Kunal Pandya, Hiro Kishimoto, BlueSkyCloudServers, Damien Sheridan, Guillermo Preciado and others. Guillermo Preciado said: Data Center Week in Review: Jan. 29: This week's news highlights: Verizon to acquire Terremark for $1.4 billion,… http://bit.ly/eUfQai [...]