The hotel lobby at Caesers Palace was bedecked for the holidays when participants were checking in for the Gartner Data center Conference.
For your weekend reading, here’s a recap some of the noteworthy stories that appeared on Data Center Knowledge this past week:
- The ‘Minority Report’ Data Center Demo  – The i/o Data Centers team has created a 12-foot by 7-foot touchscreen video wall to provide interactive tours of the company’s facilities. Selecting a “hot spot” pops up a virtual data center, complete with cross sections and product info, following the concept of the touch screens in the sci-fi movie “Minority Report.”
- Gartner: There Will Be Cloud Failures  – The growth of cloud computing will give rise to hundreds and even thousands of providers, creating a competitive environment in which some players will fail – perhaps even large providers. That’s the view of Gartner Distinguished Analyst Thomas Bittman, who gave the keynote on cloud computing Monday at the Gartner Data Center Conference in Las Vegas.
- Gartner: Mobile, Social Will Drive Change  – Rapid change in the way consumers are using mobile devices and social networks are extending into the enterprise, and will increasingly disrupt how companies manage their IT operations and data center infrastructure, according to Gartner analyst David Cappuccio.
- 3000 Skyline Dallas Completes Powered Shell  - The market for “powered shell” space has slowed in recent years with the emergence of a vibrant market for wholesale data centers, in which the landlord delivers finished raised-floor space to the tenant. But the companies who remain interested in powered shell developments now have a large new player to consider in the Dallas market.
- nlyte Updates its DCIM Software  - As more data center managers confront challenges with power use and capacity, there’s a growing focus on the need for Data Center Infrastructure Management (DCIM) software. nlyte’s Michael Boyce gave DCK’s Rich Miller a demo of the new version and its capabilities.
Stay current on Data Center Knowledge’s data center news by subscribing to our RSS feed  and daily e-mail updates , or by following us on Twitter  or Facebook .
Article printed from Data Center Knowledge: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com
URL to article: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2010/12/11/week-in-review-gartner-highlights-demos/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/CeasersPalace.jpg
 The ‘Minority Report’ Data Center Demo: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2010/12/10/the-minority-report-data-center-demo/
 Gartner: There Will Be Cloud Failures: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2010/12/07/gartner-there-will-be-cloud-failures/
 Gartner: Mobile, Social Will Drive Change: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2010/12/06/gartner-mobile-social-will-drive-change/
 3000 Skyline Dallas Completes Powered Shell: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2010/12/08/3000-skyline-dallas-completes-powered-shell/
 nlyte Updates its DCIM Software: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2010/12/09/nlyte-6-0-delivers-a/
 RSS feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/DataCenterKnowledge
 daily e-mail updates: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/subscribe/
 Twitter: http://twitter.com/datacenter
 Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/DataCenterKnowledge
 Rich Miller: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/author/richm/
Click here to print.