Roundup: Superb, ServerCentral, Peer 1
Here’s a roundup of more of this week’s headlines from the data center industry:
- Superb Internet opens Virginia data center. Web hosting company Superb Internet announced the opening of a new data center in Springfield, Virginia. The new facility complements their existing data centers in McLean, Virginia and Seattle. The Springfield facility features optical network connectivity, 9 parallel UPS units, 2 redundant 1.25 MW diesel generators and over 200 tons of cooling, expandable to 500 tons.
- SAS 70 for ServerCentral Data Centers: Chicago managed data center provider ServerCentral has completed a SAS 70 Type II audit that covers operations at all ServerCentral data centers worldwide, the company said this week. To complete the Statement on Auditing Standards (SAS) 70 audit issued by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA), ServerCentral submitted information about its stringent controls over customer data and related processes. It also provided independent auditors access to the company’s data centers, network services operations, systems and control procedures. “By completing this widely recognized audit, ServerCentral can better serve financial, healthcare, government and other organizations that are required to substantiate adequate oversight of their service providers,” said Jordan Lowe, CEO.
- Peer 1 completes SAS70 Type 1 audit. Hosting and network services provider Peer 1 announced Thursday that it had completed a type 1 SAS 70 audit for managed hosting. Peer 1 plans to obtain a type II report in the future. “PEER 1′s SAS 70 audit also underscores the company’s ongoing commitment to service excellence through its 100% uptime service level agreement and its disciplined approach to data center management and network control.”
- earth2tech interviews Baryonyx: Last week start-up company Baryonyx said they would be building the largest offshore wind farms in the U.S. in order to power data centers in the South of Texas. The interview discusses business models, clean power incentives and details of the wind farms.
- HP Labs presentation on Sustainable Data Centers. HP Labs released a Slideshare show of a presentation given at the 46th annual design automation conference. The presentation was given by HP Senior Vice President of Research and Director Pirth Banerjee. Pirth discusses lifecycle design through data center synthesis, the flexible building blocks of data centers and inneficiencies in the cloud. Check out the Slideshare presentation.