Microsoft Shares Sustainable Best Practices
Microsoft (MSFT) has been visible in its advocacy for improving data center energy efficiency. To mark Earth Day, the company’s Global Foundation Services infrastructure team has published a list of the Top 10 Best Business Practices for Environmentally Sustainable Data Centers. Here’s an overview of the best practices highlighted in the 10-page white paper:
- 1. Provide incentives that support your primary goals.
- 2. Focus on effective resource utilization.
- 3. Use virtualization to improve server utilization and increase operational efficiency.
- 4. Drive quality up through compliance.
- 5. Embrace change management.
- 6. Invest in understanding your application workload and behavior.
- 7. Right-size your server platforms to meet your application requirements.
- 8. Evaluate and test servers for performance, power, and total cost of ownership.
- 9. Converge on as small a number of stock-keeping units (SKUs) as you can.
- 10. Take advantage of competitive bids from multiple vendors to foster innovation and reduce costs.
Global Foundation Services (GFS) builds and manages the infrastructure that powers more than 200 of Microsoft’s online services and web portals. Microsoft recently launched a new web site for GFS, which brings together information and links about GFS and its work.
[...] Microsoft Shares Sustainable Best Practices: An overview of the best practices (such as providing incentives and taking advantage of competitive bids from multiple vendors) highlighted in a new 10-page white paper from Microsoft’s Global Foundation Services infrastructure team. — Data Center Knowledge [...]
Curious georgePosted April 23rd, 2009
Thank you for sharing!