Friday Linkfest: Amazon, MySQL, CIX,
As usual, it’s been a busy week in the data center industry. Here’s our roundup of some stories of interest:
- The MySQL Conference featured animated discussion about Sun’s plans for MySQL, as well as a lot of great info about scaling databases. Todd Hoff at High Scalability has links to some of the most useful presentations.
- Amazon rolled out premium support options for its EC2 and S3 utility computing services. Check out coverage from ReadWriteWeb and CenterNetworks.
- Social media expert and data center builder Tom Raftery says he is moving from Ireland to Spain and thus looking to sell his interest in the Cork Internet Exchange (CIX). Raftery has been documenting the data center construction on the CIX blog.
- Liam Eagle at The WHIR blog has photos from a tour of Microsoft’s Redmond campus. They also have a Flickr photo set from this week’s Microsoft Hosting Summit.
- SearchDataCenter has an interesting look at mantraps and how they are used to prevent “tailgating” – entry of an unauthorized user who sneaks into a facility by quickly following an authorized user. The new Savvis facility in Dallas is used as a case study in mantrap technology.