We found some offbeat stories in our check of data center news in the media yesterday:
- Here’s a security challenge you don’t see every day: workers at the United States Geological Survey’s EROS Data Center in South Dakota have been warned that mountain lions have been spotted on the property. The data center at EROS (Earth Resources Observation Systems) is staffed by contract employees from Science Applications International Cor. as well as the USGS.
- A Monday night webcast by Oprah Winfrey  had more than 500,000 simultaneous users viewing the stream, with traffic peaking at 242Gbps. Those numbers make the event one of the largest webcasts in Internet history, but also led to some capacity-related performance problems . Move Networks and Limelight Networks (LLNW) handled the content delivery for Oprah.
- An underground data center at Germany’s largest airport is seeking to lease excess space to enterprise companies. The Fraport data center at Frankfurt airport is 30 feet underground and manages 20 flight critical applications.
- Honda has opened a 61,000 square foot data center in Longmont , Colorado. The company invested $25 million in the facility.
- Brocade said yesterday that it will buy data center services firm Strategic Business Systems , which specializes in data center virtualization and network design and optimization.
Article printed from Data Center Knowledge: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com
URL to article: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2008/03/05/links-mountain-lions-oprah-brocade-honda/
URLs in this post:
 mountain lions : http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080305/NEWS/803050305/1001/news
 webcast by Oprah Winfrey: http://blog.streamingmedia.com/the_business_of_online_vi/2008/03/oprah-webcast-d.html
 performance problems: http://www2.oprah.com/about/press/releases/200803/press_releases_20080304.jhtml
 data center in Longmont: http://www.timescall.com/tcBusiness/business-story.asp?ID=6903
 buy data center services firm Strategic Business Systems: http://storage.blogs.techtarget.com/2008/03/04/brocade-buys-data-center-expertise/
 Rich Miller: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/author/richm/
Click here to print.