Data Center Blogs (Updated)
It’s been eight months since we published The Big List of Data Center Blogs. That’s a long time in the blogosphere, so it’s time to refresh the list. A number of worthwhile new data center blogs have emerged, while other sites have been discontinued or gone idle.
One thing is clear: the audience for data center blogs continues to grow. When I published this list last June, Data Center Knowledge had 1,000 RSS subscribers. As of today, we’ve topped 3,000 subscribers to our RSS feed (if you’re not one of them yet, you can find our feed here). So here’s our updated list of the blogs that I’ve found useful or interesting in tracking the data center sector. There’s quite a few, so you may want to bookmark this page:
- John Rath’s Data Center Information: John supplies a steady diet of informative posts, including many data center items from regional newspapers that aren’t well indexed by the search engines.
- Royal Pingdom (NEW): The official blog of the Pingdom web site monitoring service always manages to find interesting angles on downtime and Internet infrastructure.
- Server Specs: This Tech Target blog offers insights and news items from the staff at SearchDataCenter.
- Green Data Center Blog (NEW): Dave Ohara focuses on “monitoring, metering and managing the green data center” and unearths some interesting items, such as the recent look at the possibility that Lake Mead may run dry, or at least become a less viable power source of hydro power.
- High Scalability (NEW): This excellent site from Todd Hoff aims to “bring together all the lore, art, science, practice, and experience of building scalable websites.” There’s lots of good information here.
- The Renesys Blog (NEW): Renesys monitors Internet routing, and while the company blog is low-volume, it provides great information during connectivity issues. The recent cable cuts in the Middle East provided a great example.
- Data Center Design Blog is penned by staffers at PTS Data Center Solutions in North Jersey. It’s lightly updated (one to three months thus far) but often relevant for data center operators.
- Zero Downtime: News and commentary from the DataCenterDynamics conference team. It’s got a strong UK/Euro flavor, but covers a great deal of North American data center news as well.
- Rough Type: Provocative and well-researched blog by author and pundit Nicholas Carr. The focus is IT generally, but Carr often writes about data centers.
- BladeWatch: This high-volume blog by Martin MacLeod covers a lot of ground in the blade universe, but there’s something of interest almost every day.
- The Business of Online Video: Excellent blog on video infrastructure by Dan Rayburn, including coverage of CDNs and P2P-based video delivery services.
- The Raised Floor: This team blog features IBM execs and will “track changes in corporate data centers as they become greener, more efficient and more indispensable.”
- Between The Lines (NEW): Larry Dignan will be solo on this ZDNet blog now that Dan Farber is running CNet, but this blog often has worthwhile commentary on data center developments. Among other ZDNet blogs, Mary Jo Foley is well-connected on Microsoft news.
- Data Center Networks: Cisco has started a team blog, with nine members of its Data Center Business Unit on the blogroll.
- ServerTech Blog: A team blog from four managers at Server Technology, which provides solutions for data center equipment managers.
- Grove’s Green IT (NEW): Deborah Grove of Grove Associates blogs about green IT and sustainable computing.
- Alan Chhabra’s Blog: Alan is an engineer and manager at blade server vendor Egenera, and focuses on virtualization and consolidation.
- The Fountainhead (NEW): Observations about the data center from Ken Oestreich of Cassatt.
- blogs.sun.com: There are about eleventy bazillion bloggers at Sun, including CEO Jonathan Schwartz and Virtual Steve Wilson, among others. How to digest all this? I use Google blog search to filter blogs.sun.com for keywords of interest and monitor the search via RSS.
- Planet VMware: This portal aggregates the writings of a team of VMware bloggers, and is part of the broader VMware Technology Network.
- The DataClean Blog: This niche blog from the UK is all about the cleaning and maintenance of mission-critical facilities.
- Life and Times of an Infrastructure Architect: Michael Halligan’s LiveJournal offers a window into the data center.
- Data Center Moving: This blog is from E-Oasis, which offers relocation services for data center and colo operators. The posts aren’t frequent, but the archived content may be of interest if you are contemplating a move.
- Geeking With Greg from Greg Linden, formerly CEO of news aggregator Findory and now at Microsoft Live Labs. Greg has some real insight into infrastructure.
- GigaOm by veteran telco and infrastructure journalist Om Malik. Om’s main blog has expanded beyond the broadband sector, but much of the content is relevant to the trends influencing data center growth.
It’s a lot to read. If you can’t track that many blogs each day, just keep reading Data Center Knowledge! We’re monitoring these sites, as well as numerous searches on topics of interest in the Data Center. News tips and backlinks are always welcome!
FYI: Server Specs has never had a registration required.