Web Hosting Blogs: The Big List
Two years ago there was a major imbalance: hosting customers were blogging like crazy, but hosting companies were not. Only a handful of industry professionals were writing about web hosting. That’s changed in a big way, as many major hosting providers now have a company blog, and often the CEO and other C-level executives are doing the blogging. These blogs offer service updates and insight into industry trends. Since web hosting companies are major users of data center space, many may be of interest to readers of Data Center Knowledge. Here’s the list:
- The Inner Layer: A company blog for managed hosting provider SoftLayer, with bloggers including CEO Lance Crosby and CFO Mike Jones.
- Racklabs: Industry insight from Rackspace Managed Hosting, with regular contributors including CTO John Engates and Senior VP of Strategy Lew Moorman.
- The WHIR Blogs: A team blog from Web Host Industry News, with contributors including WHIR staffers and industry experts in various niches, including legal issues, M&A and security.
- Hot Points: Pioneering blog from Go Daddy founder and CEO Bob Parsons, who has used it as a bully pulpit during his company’s Super Bowl ad campaigns.
- Stargate Blog: The Stargate Colocation company blog, featuring regular updates and photos of its new data center.
- Netcraft: News on hosting and security from the folks behind the popular Web Server Survey.
- The DreamHost Blog: LA’s DreamHost had one of the earliest hosting blogs. Co-founder Josh Jones has used wit and candor to connect with customers and defuse potentially disastrous outages.
- The Planet Blog: The Dallas dedicated hosting giant has a team blog with a substantial number of contributors.
- Isabel Wang: Although Isabel has recently decided to take a break from the hosting industry, her blog has been enormously influential in prodding hosting executives to get blogging and improve their customer communications. The archives remain a great resource.
- ServerBeach Blog: Tips and news from ServerBeach, the discount dedicated hosting unit of Peer 1 Networks.
- Gator Crossing: The company blog for HostGator.
- Hot Cluster: Insights on grid hosting from Bert Armijo from 3Tera, the “grid OS” company.
- Managed Dedicated Server Blog: A team blog from the staff at FastServers.net, which has data centers in Chicago and Iowa.
- (mt) weblog: News and tips from the folks at Los Angeles hoster media temple, which is popular with the Web 2.0 crowd.
- SaaS and Hosting Blog: News and perspective from the staff at SWSoft, which makes software for virtualization and automation.
- Layered Tech Community Blog: The staff blog for Layered Technologies, the fast-growing Dallas dedicated hosting provider.
- Matt Heaton: Thoughts on hosting, business and life from the CEO of BlueHost.
- Lunartics: The Lunarpages blog, with Mitch Keeler (“web hosting’s media rock star”) doing much of the blogging.
- HostingFu: The web hosting journal of technologist and developer Scott Yang.
- EasyStreet Business Blog: Trend watching from Easy Street Online Services in Portland, Oregon.
It’s a lot to read. If you can’t track that many blogs each day, just keep reading Data Center Knowledge! We’re monitoring these sites, as well as numerous searches on topics of interest in the Data Center. News tips and backlinks are always welcome!
PowWeb also blogs.
mike tPosted September 28th, 2007
I’m a Slicehost customer and they have blogged since their inception: http://blog.slicehost.com/.