Data Center Blogs: The Big List
When I launched Data Center Knowledge in 2005, there were few blogs tracking the industry. With the data center sector growing in size and significance, there are a lot more folks tracking the industry now. One indicator is the fact that this blog now has more than 1,000 subscribers to our RSS feed (if you’re not one of them yet, you can find our feed here). In recent months we’ve also seen steady growth in the number of sites writing about various elements of the industry. Here’s a list of the blogs that I’ve found useful or interesting in tracking the data center sector:
- John Rath’s Data Center Information: John supplies a steady diet of informative posts, including many data center items from regional newspapers that aren’t well indexed by the search engines.
- Server Specs: This Tech Target blog offers insights and news items from the staff at SearchDataCenter. Registration required.
- The Raised Floor: This new team blog features IBM execs and will “track changes in corporate data centers as they become greener, more efficient and more indispensable.”
- Data Center Design Blog is penned by staffers at PTS Data Center Solutions in North Jersey. It’s lightly updated (one to three months thus far) but often relevant for data center operators.
- Zero Downtime: News and commentary from the DataCenterDynamics conference team. It’s got a strong UK/Euro flavor, but covers a great deal of North American data center news as well.
- Next Generation Data Center Blog: This brand new blog is a companion to the NGDC trade show, and written by Eric Norlin, Senior Editor at Digital ID World.
- EcoIron: Mark Ontkush provides daily reports and commentary on all aspects of green computing and sustainable technologies in IT.
- BladeWatch: This high-volume blog by Martin MacLeod covers a lot of ground in the blade universe, but there’s something of interest almost every day.
- Data Center Central: Blog written by Arthur Cole of IT Business Edge, with a focus on virtualization, consolidation, and business continuity strategies.
- Data Center Networks: Cisco has started a team blog, with nine members of its Data Center Business Unit on the blogroll.
- ServerTech Blog: A team blog from four managers at Server Technology, which provides solutions for data center equipment managers.
- Alan Chhabra’s Blog: Alan is an engineer and manager at blade server vendor Egenera, and focuses on virtualization and consolidation.
- blogs.sun.com: There are about eleventy bazillion bloggers at Sun, including CEO Jonathan Schwartz and Virtual Steve Wilson, among others. How to digest all this? I use Google blog search to filter blogs.sun.com for keywords of interest and monitor the search via RSS.
- Planet VMware: This portal aggregates the writings of a team of VMware bloggers, and is part of the broader VMware Technology Network.
- The DataClean Blog: This niche blog from the UK is all about the cleaning and maintenance of mission-critical facilities.
- Data Center Strategies: New team blog from The Burton Group.
- Life and Times of an Infrastructure Architect: Michael Halligan’s LiveJournal offers a window into the data center.
- Data Center Evolution: This blog from the Blade Systems Alliance was launched in April, but has been light on posts thus far.
- Data Center Moving: This blog is from E-Oasis, which offers relocation services for data center and colo operators. The posts aren’t frequent, but the archived content may be of interest if you are contemplating a move.
- Rough Type: Provocative and well-researched blog by author and pundit Nicholas Carr. The focus is IT generally, but Carr often writes about data centers.
- Geeking With Greg from Greg Linden, the founder and CEO of news aggregator Findory, who has some real insight into infrastructure.
- The Business of Online Video: Excellent blog on video infrastructure by Dan Rayburn, including coverage of CDNs and P2P-based video delivery services.
- GigaOm by veteran telco and infrastructure journalist Om Malik. Om’s main blog has expanded beyond the broadband sector, but much of the content is relevant to the trends influencing data center growth.
It’s a lot to read. If you can’t track that many blogs each day, just keep reading Data Center Knowledge! We’re monitoring these sites, as well as numerous searches on topics of interest in the Data Center. News tips and backlinks are always welcome!